- 茅台电商公司原董事长聂永被公诉 受贿数额巨大
- 南有新田⑤丨易地扶贫 做小镇新居民
- 关注 | 体育成为高招记分科目！为什么世界更偏爱喜欢运动的孩子？
- 韦世豪霸气回应暴力飞铲 挺正常的动作足球难免一些伤病！
- 自贸区助黑龙江扩大开放 全国每9碗饭一碗来自黑龙江
- 2019“Hi Jiangsu”外媒访苏活动走进我市 实地感受强富美高新南通生动实践
- 或造成未净化尾气泄漏 斯巴鲁召回部分进口森林人、力狮、傲虎
- 京东版“拼多多”入局下沉市场双十一将现三国决战 联商网
澳门最大的赌场规则 「英语阅读进阶版」What Does the Phone Filter?（内附音频）
what does the phone filter?
——高中进阶 (2018-2019学年第12期) 1版
flashing lights. catchy (悦耳易记的) music. colorful food. majestic (壮丽的) landscapes. the camera is focused on a face, and witty (风趣的) comments capture the audience's attention. are we watching a tv program?
sort of. we are watching a minor internet celebrity deliver a "report" with a smartphone — on selfie mode — on tiktok, a popular short video sharing application.
in the past few years, china has seen an explosion in social media use. creating and sharing photos and videos have gone from nothing to a multi-billion-dollar industry. the bar for entry is low: almost anyone can do it with a smartphone and the necessary applications (often for free).
some avid (狂热的) social media users, who showed off their recently purchased iphone xs, have made an interesting observation. apple's latest phone can automatically smooth out rough skin and other "imperfections" on the face in selfies. and there doesn't seem to be a way to turn off this "beauty filter (滤镜)." in no time, it aroused controversy (争议) on social media.
is this an intentional (故意的) part of apple's new product design? or is it our imagination? some tech specialists said it's both — partly a result of apple's new smart hdr (high dynamic range imaging, 高动态范围成像) function. however, many users complained that they "looked too good" in selfies.
like most people, i share many selfies with my friends and family, but i have never used a "beauty filter." why? because i have neither the need nor the desire to change the way others see me. if i were paid to advertise products using my selfies, i might reconsider. however, as photo editing technology becomes more advanced, it is harder to tell the difference anyway. even if i do not use a filter, others might also see me as more "fake" than "perfect."
it is a part of our human nature to pursue perfection. yet we have to understand that none of us is perfect no matter how hard we try. according to the famous british actress emma watson, "there's nothing interesting about looking perfect … you want what you are wearing to say something about you, about who you are." as a teacher, i believe a person is not special for how he or she looks, but what he or she is doing now and will do in the future. what, after all, is the point of looking good if you don't have anything to say?
there is another trend on social media of users who value genuineness and post photos without filters. if you are confident enough, take on that challenge. i will be following you!
1. look at the following selfies taken with different generations of apple's iphone. what's the difference between these pictures? which one do you think is the most natural? why?
2. how often do you use a "beauty filter" when you share your selfies with your friends and family? do you think it is necessary to turn off the "beauty filter"? why or why not?
1. in the past few years, china has seen an explosion in social media use.
① see v. : to be the time or place when sth. happens 是……的发生时间（或地点）；见证
e.g. this summer has seen the end of water restrictions.
2. some avid social media users, who showed off their recently purchased iphone xs, have made an interesting observation.
① show off v. to try to impress others with one's abilities, wealth, intelligence, etc. 炫耀自己的能力、财富、智慧等
e.g. the girl danced around the room, showing off her skills to everyone.
3. if i were paid to advertise products using my selfies, i might reconsider.
① if引导非真实条件句，表示与现在事实相反，从句用“if + 主语 + 动词过去式（be动词用were）”，主句用“would/could/might + 动词原形”。
e.g. if i were you, i would do it right now.
4. yet we have to understand that none of us is perfect no matter how hard we try.
① "no matter + 疑问词”引导让步状语从句，意为“无论……”，相当于“疑问词 + ever”。
e.g. she often goes swimming no matter how cold it is / however cold it is.
complete each sentence using one word from the box in its correct form. note that there is one word more than you need and you can use each word only once.
pursue observation arouse specialist complain genuineness
1. what he said before leaving __________ my curiosity.
2. all __________ against the police officer will be carefully investigated.
3. he showed a(n) __________ interest in the project.
4. the book is full of interesting __________ about the weather and human activities.
5. professor zhao is a(n) __________ in chinese culture.
1. aroused 2. complaints 3. genuine
4. observations 5. specialist
2. 近日席卷全球的“摔跤炫富 (falling stars challenge)” 成为人们炫耀个人财产的方式。(show)
4. 他是一个言而无信的人，因此无论他说什么都不要相信他。(no matter)
1. the past forty years have seen the rapid development of china's economy.
2. the "falling stars challenge" that is recently sweeping the world has been a way to show off people's personal belongings/possessions.
3. if i were you / were in your shoes, i would explain the situation face to face rather than send a message.
4. he is a man who never keeps his promises/word, so you should not trust him no matter what he says.
choose the best answer.
1. according to the article, which of the following statements about the "beauty filter" is not true?
a. it is not popular with all social media users.
b. it comes with the option of turning off the function.
c. it can make your selfies flawless.
d. it is specially designed for apple's latest phones.
2. the author never used a "beauty filter" because ______.
a. he values genuineness
b. nobody paid him to advertise products
c. he prefers to use photo editing technology
d. he never pursues perfection
3. according to the article, which of the following idioms best describes the author's thoughts?
a. beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
b. all that glitters is not gold.
c. beauty is only skin deep.
d. a rolling stone gathers no moss.
work in a group of four to six and make a poster to call on your friends and family to take on the challenge of posting photos without filters.
「英语阅读进阶版」"idolizing" the positive（内附音频）
「英语阅读进阶版」work hard, play fair（内附音频）
「英语阅读进阶版」breaking the cycle（内附音频）
「英语阅读进阶版」what's outside the box?（内附音频）
「英语阅读进阶版」do we really chat?（内附音频）
「英语阅读进阶版」mooncake tradition gets a modern makeover
「英语阅读进阶版」you deserve a "brighter" future 内附音频
「英语阅读进阶版」i feel, therefore i am（内附音频）
「英语阅读进阶版」when in rome, do as the romans do 内附音频